VEIN DISEASE TREATMENT ALTERNATIVES IN ST. LOUIS
Varicose Vein CARE IN THE PAST
In the past, those suffering from varicose veins had only one option for treatment: a painful procedure which involving surgical tying and stripping of the diseased veins. This surgery, vein stripping is still performed today. It entails general anesthesia, making an incision in the groin, and tying and cutting the diseased vein.
The affected vein is then stripped out of the leg through an incision at the knee. As if that’s not enough…. the problem vein is cured, but there’s a risk of many side effects including trauma to tissues, scarring, possible nerve damage, and all of the risks of general anesthesia and surgical infection. The recovery for this old-fashioned vein treatment surgery is painful and long, calling for downtime, prescription painkillers, rest, and restricted movement.
TODAY’S VEIN dISEASE tREATMENT aLTERNATIVES IN sT. loUIS
Today, with advances in technology and the specialty of Phlebology constantly working for venous heath and to treat vein disease, there are now better choices for varicose vein treatment.
One of the most popular treatments performed by vein specialists and enjoyed by patients is called EVLT® (EndoVenous Laser Treatment). An innovative non-surgical procedure, EVLT® uses laser energy to seal problem veins safely and effectively. Problems are eliminated at the source.
ENDOVENOUS ABLATION WITH LASER TREATS VARICOSE VEINS SAFELY
This treatment permanently closes malfunctioning veins without removing them. After treatment, they are safely and slowly absorbed by the body. Dr. Wright treats veins using a diode laser delivered by a pencil tip-size probethrough a tiny, freckle-sized nick in the skin.
The probe is guided into place using an ultrasound display, showing beneath the skin so the doctor can precisely place the probe. The procedure is performed under a local anesthetic that is similar to what dentists use to numb an area being treated. No general anesthesia makes this a much quicker, much safer procedure. Patients walk on the treated leg right after the procedure. No downtime.
The whole process takes about 45 minutes. The patient is able to walk out of the office with no post-operative scarring and recover over a matter of hours or days using over-the-counter pain relievers to minimize minor discomfort.
As defined by a lack of blood flow in the treated vein, EVLT® has been shown to have a success rate of 98 percent at follow-ups of one month, and 93.4 percent of treated veins remaining closed at 2 years. This treatment gives varicose vein sufferers a comfortable, safe treatment that is often covered by insurance and requires no surgery or downtime.
SCLEROTHERAPY FOR LEG VEINS
Sclerotherapy, which involves injecting an irritant chemical into the vein, is excellent for small veins (like spider veins) as a cosmetic procedure but not as effective for curing the underlying problem at the greater saphenous vein as ablation is. Patients often require several sclerotherapy treatments for a bigger vein such as that, and because the source of disease is not eliminated, often return for treatment of new varicose veins on a regular basis. Sclerotherapy is suited more for smaller veins and spider veins.
Radio Frequency Electrosurgery
Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) is a procedure very similar to EVLT. RFA uses energy generated from a radio frequency electric current to damage and close the greater saphenous vein from the inside.
The EVLT® Procedure
The Ablation Advantage
- An improvement in general health
- EVLT® and RFA are performed under local anesthesia, not general
- RFA and EVLT are minimally invasive, requiring very small access points
- Very little risk of noticeable scarring and or postoperative infection
- Total time required for treatment is less than an hour
- Rapid recovery with reduced postoperative pain
- Normal activities can be resumed as early as the next day
- Excellent clinical and aesthetic results
THE PATIENT BENEFITS OF DR. WRIGHT’S VEIN dISEASE TREATMENT ALTERNATIVES
- Relief from swelling, cramps and leg heaviness
- Improvement in general health
- Confidence to bare your legs again
- Able to renew activities you enjoy without physical discomfort
- Renewed energy and vigor
- Freedom from wearing uncomfortable and unfashionable compression stockings
- Cures the problem rather than just slowing its progression
- Significant improvement in the appearance of the leg
- No unpleasant compression stockings needed long term
COMPARE VEIN DISEASE TREATMENT ALTERNATIVES:
VEIN ABLATION COMPARED WITH SURGICAL STRIPPING
- EVLT® causes much less trauma to the leg and fewer side effects
- No operative scars
- No general anesthesia or pain killers
- No hospital stay
- Much quicker recovery with less post treatment discomfort
Discuss Your Vein Disease Treatment Alternatives in St. Louis with Dr. Wright
For more information about our varicose vein care alternatives in St. Louis and the St. Charles area, please contact us by calling or using the form at right to ask questions or schedule an appointment.